Saturday, March 24, 2012

2nd week completed

Well, the second week of orientation is completed. We did some great team building exercises this week that included a visit to the Air & Space museum. The museum was pretty cool. We also visited the CIA, which I would love to tell you about, but then I would have to kill you. Haha...well, it works in the movies.


Since, I can't really talk about work, let me tell you about some of the very interesting restaurants we visited this week. My friends and I have decided to take a tour of the world by visiting ethnic food restaurants here in Washington DC.



  • First up, we tried Ethiopian cuisine at Meskerem. This was my first time having Ethiopian cuisine and it was definitely an interesting experience. Basically, the way that the serving process works is that they bring a large platter of food out and everyone eats off it with their hands. You use a pancake type bread to help scoop up the meat, sauce, vegetables, and lentils that are spread on the tray. The predominant flavors include cinnamon and cardamon. While the food was good, I didn't find the flavors particularly appealing to my palate. I am glad that we tried it, but it will probably not go into the restaurant rotation.
  • Up next, we went to Vietnam, well at least to a Vietnamese restaurant, Huong Viet. Once again, I had never had this style of food before, but was open to the possibilities that it presented. What's nice is that the restaurant is right next door to the apartment, so I had high hopes that I would like it. It would make it very easy to return. I tried something called Bun, which is vermicelli rice noodles, grilled pork, cucumbers, carrots, and other veggies. It was light and fresh. I really enjoyed it, along with the Vietnamese beer, "33", that I tried. Some people in the group had the Pho, which looked very good also. I will definitely be going back to this restaurant.


My allergies are acting up terribly, although, I had high hopes that the move to Washington would alleviate some of my problems, it seems that I have just moved from one allergy zone to another. Oh, well, I will get some medicine and soldier on.


Well, what's next for me? Today, Sofia will celebrate her 7th birthday with her friends and my family. I wish that I could be there to see her ride her pony and break her pony piñata. We are going to try and Skype me into the party. I will let everyone know how that works out.


We will be having Flag Day on Tuesday, which is the time that we will be told where we are to be posted. I am very excited to learn what's up next for my family. I will update everyone, once I know. Also, I am looking forward to a visit from Al and Sofia. They are coming up on March 30th to spend Spring break in Washington DC. It should be a great time.


See you next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment