Sunday, September 28, 2014

Grover (not the muppet) and some pretty amazing Pico de Gallo

While we were in Cameroon, I often commented that the best Mexican food in all of Africa could be found at la casa de Arriaga. Most people got it, that means at my house. Well, here we are in DC (Virginia, actually) and I might still make the claim that the best Mexican food that we can find is right here at home.

Alberto makes an excellent pico de gallo. For those of you who took high school Spanish, you may realize that the translation of this is actually "Rooster beak". However, there is nothing fowl about this dish. It is the most amazing combination of tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and other stuff that you will ever taste. Alberto said that I could post the recipe as long as I included a copyright. I am not sure if you can copyright recipes that you randomly post on the internet, so instead, here's a picture. If you want the recipe, you can email me and I will share.

A few chips and a Mexican cerveza and you are in heaven

We had some other food with this, as well, but the pico was the star of our table. We will probably continue to try out Mexican places around DC and will continue to lament their lack of true Mexican-ness. Oh well, on to the super cute pictures that I have to share today.

We have a new member of the Arriaga family. Some of you follow me on Facebook and will have already seen these pictures. Grover is our new puppy and he is the cutest little guy that I have ever seen. He is a Morkie (Maltese Yorkie) and has wrapped us all around his little puppy paws. At only 3 1/2 pounds now, we only expect him to grow to around 8 pounds when he is full grown, so he is the perfect size for a traveling family. He can fit under the seat in front of us on the plane, which takes a lot of the stress out of traveling. Okay, enough details, here are the super cute pictures of our super cute puppy.








Sofia loves our new puppy and as you can probably see, Alberto is enamored with this little ball of fluff. 

School is going well for both Sofia and I. The weather is starting to get cooler and fall is just around the corner. We are looking forward to a real autumn for the first time in several years. We are not quite as excited for the winter. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment